This recipe is an adaptation of Ottolenghi’s Chicken and Three Rice Salad. The tangy and refreshing flavours – lemon, coriander, mint, chilli and lots of onions – mean that it is the perfect dish for eating outside in the summer al fresco.
While Ottolenghi uses a whole roasted chicken, here we are going for a quicker option so are instead using chicken breasts (check out my video here showing a great way to cook them which keeps them juicy and succulent).
As the name suggests, the original Ottolenghi recipe uses three different types of rice – basmati, wild and brown – which are cooked in three different pans (for three different lengths of time!). I found this a bit of a faff and, as you can’t really taste the brown rice anyway, I now just use a packet of basmati and wild rice in one pan.
Chicken and Two Rice Salad
6 chicken breasts
300g basmati and wild rice
1 red onion
1 tsp coconut oil
6 spring onions
4 mild red chillis
1 handful coriander
10 leaves mint
1 handful rocket
Juice of 1 lemon
2 tbsp sesame oil
2 tbsp Thai fish oil
2 tbsp good extra virgin olive oil
- Cook the chicken breast fillets using the method shown in our video.
- Cook the rice for around 3 minutes less than the time shown on the pack instructions. This is so that the rice stays al dente and doesn’t get soggy when added to the salad.
- While the chicken and rice are cooking, chop the onion finely and sweat (cook gently) in the coconut oil, adding a pinch of salt to bring out the flavour. Stir occasionally and cook until the onion is soft and crispy.
- Discard the tough stalks of the coriander and mint and chop the leaves finely. Then chop the chillis, discarding the inner core and seeds, and the spring onion.
- Once cooked, allow the cooked chicken breast, rice and onions to cool for 10 – 15 minutes.
Make up the dressing by measuring the ingredients (the lemon juice, Thai fish oil, sesame oil and olive oil) into a bowl and beat with a fork to combine.
- Once the hot ingredients have cooled down, throw everything together in a bowl and mix throughly. Taste and adjust the seasoning if required.
Calories: 429kcal | 38g protein | 12g fat | 41g carbs